Sunday, December 6, 2009

Review of Perfect Fifths

Perfect Fifths by Megan McCafferty
Publisher: Crown (April 14, 2009)
Hardcover: 272 pages
Reading Level: Young Adult/Adult
"Captivated readers have followed Jessica through every step and misstep: from her life as a tormented, tart-tongued teenager to her years as a college grad stumbling toward adulthood. Now a young professional in her mid-twenties, Jess is off to a Caribbean wedding. As she rushes to her gate at the airport, she literally runs into her former boyfriend, Marcus Flutie. It’s the first time she's seen him since she reluctantly turned down his marriage proposal three years earlier–and emotions run high. Marcus and Jessica have both changed dramatically, yet their connection feels as familiar as ever. Is their reunion just a fluke or has fate orchestrated this collision of their lives once again? Told partly from Marcus’s point of view, Perfect Fifths finally lets readers inside the mind of the one person who’s both troubled and titillated Jessica Darling for years. Expect nothing less than the satisfying conclusion fans have been waiting for, one perfect in its imperfection. . . ."
Review: I was quite anxious to read Perfect Fifths, mostly because I needed to find out how the series was going to end.
Perfect Fifths is written in a different style than the other books in the series. The story takes place within 2 days and yet this book is able to bring back a lot of the past characters, which is completely awesome. Half the book is in Marcus' POV and it was great to finally get the chance to read what went on inside his head.
Jessica and Marcus literally run into each other at the Newark Airport after not having seen each other in 3 years. From that point on, the book is spent pretty much on them catching up. I found myself actually enjoying the dialogue. They talked and talked and some parts, I didn't even understand what they were talking about! Still, I found all of it interesting. I liked what Jessica was doing for a living, I thought it was perfect for her.
Parts of the book were really funny. Like, every scene where there was some sort of Barry Manilow reference or song, I laughed. Jessica's ramblings to herself were humorous as well.
I was a bit disappointed with how it ended. There were a lot of questions left unanswered and I wasn't sure exactly where Marcus and Jessica stood. However, the ending was nothing bad. If you've read the previous 4 books, be sure to read this last one!
Other things I liked about the series as a whole (since I probably won't review the first 2 books):
  • I REALLY loved the fact that Jessica was a cross-country/track runner during high school. I pretty much am obsessed with XC and I loved reading about a character who has the same interests as me. Well, actually, Jessica wasn't a fan of running, as it was her father who pushed her into it....but oh well.
  • I liked how she's always been a writer/journalist. I think that's pretty rad. That's another one of my interests.
  • There were a lot of good quotes in this series. I liked the You. Yes. You and all of that.
  • I liked how all the titles of the books were explained. Especially, Sloppy Firsts and Fourth Comings.
  • I liked how Jessica's best friend, Hope, remained throughout the series. I was actually kind of surprised, because after she moved in the first book, I just figured they would only just email each other and see each other occasionally. I'm glad they actually remained close.
Rating:
Characters: 8/10pts
Originality: 7/10pts
Ending: 7/10pts
Writing: 9/10pts
Voice: 8/10pts
Plot: 7/10pts
Favorite characters: Marcus. I'm so glad that in this book we got to hear what he was thinking. I enjoy his personality.
Cover: C. Not really a fan, but it's not too bad.
Overall: I think that fans of the series will enjoy this book. It wasn't the best in the series, but it's enjoyable. Can not wait for whatever Megan McCafferty has in store for us next!

No comments:

Search & Win