Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ten Years Ago Today


On September 11, 2001, I was in the 2nd grade. I vaguely remember being inn my speech therapy session and another adult came in to talk to my speech therapist and seeing a look of disbelief on her face. I can't remember exactly what followed but I imagine, I was told to go back to my class. I remember my best friend at the time, who lived next door, coming over and we were going to watch TV. I grew up watching ABC and a whole lot of daytime TV. Of course, on all of the news station is was full coverage of the attacks, what seems like, 24/7. My eyes were drawn to the television, because unlike so many other children, I loved watching "adult" TV programs. I didn't fully understand what was happening but I knew it was bad. I watched on the TV screen, people crying and had their hands over their mouths to keep all of the dust out. I had to change the channel because my friend went, "Bianca, I don't want to watch anymore. My mom won't even turn the TV on because all she does is cry." 

The following year, the students were asked to bring any picture they had of their family members who were currently or were in the military. I brought a picture of my father in his Marines uniform that was taken over a decade ago. The whole third grade, put on a patriotic performance one night. We were all told to wear something patriotic. I remember that they showed a video of some troops and that we sung, "God Bless the USA" by Lee Greenwood. 

It feels like just yesterday when the Twin Towers were hit. Every year, I find myself reliving that moment because I can't help but watch no less than a dozen programs on 9/11. And this year was especially hard for me to watch them.

On this day, I remember the thousands of people who lost their lives. Rest In Peace. I will never forget. I also salute the troops who our fighting for our country. 


GOD BLESS AMERICA! 

1 comment:

We Heart YA said...

Thank you for remembering and reflecting, and thank your father for his service.

Search & Win