Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Man of My Dreams by Curtis Sittenfeld

The Man of My Dreams by Curtis Sittenfeld
Publisher: Random House (May 16, 2006)
Hardcover: 288 pages
Reading Level: Young Adult/Adult

 Hannah Gavener is fourteen in the summer of 1991. In the magazines she reads, celebrities plan elaborate weddings; in Hannah’s own life, her parents’ marriage is crumbling. And somewhere in between these two extremes–just maybe–lie the answers to love’s most bewildering questions. But over the next decade and a half, as she moves from Philadelphia to Boston to Albuquerque, Hannah finds that the questions become more rather than less complicated: At what point can you no longer blame your adult failures on your messed-up childhood? Is settling for someone who’s not your soul mate an act of maturity or an admission of defeat? And if you move to another state for a guy who might not love you back, are you being plucky–or just pathetic?


Review: I read Curtis Sittenfeld's debut novel, Prep, sometime in 2008 and absolutely loved it! In fact, it became one of my favorite all time novels and I was really looking forward to reading this book by her.

The Man of My Dreams follows Hannah Gavener from young adolescent to her late 20's. From the title you would think that it was fairytale-ish but it's not. Hannah obsesses over "Mr. Right" but will find out later how perfect couples really don't exist.

I think Curtis Sittenfeld's writing style is unique and awesome. I haven't read many books that are like this one. It isn't set in a year, but rather a span of years skipping from 2000 to 2003. But somehow it all flows together. I thought the characters each had uniqueness about them and for the most part I didn't feel as if I were reading about stereotypical characters.

I liked this book and reading about Hannah's relationships. The ending was pretty much bittersweet and I didn't hate it but I wish there had been something more. I guess if you look at it in a different way, it was somewhat of a good ending for her.

I can't wait until Sittenfeld comes out with a new book! And I have yet to read American Wife.


Rating:

Characters: 9/10
Originality: 8/10
Ending: 7/10
Writing: 10/10
Voice: 10/10
Plot: 7/10

Favorite character(s): I enjoyed reading about Hannah's aunt, Elizabeth. I thought that she had a really genuine personality.
Cover: C+/B- It's pretty simple, but nothing bad, but I like it.
Overall: Didn't like it as much as Prep but I did enjoy it! 3.5 stars

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also enjoyed Prep more.

I enjoy reading your blog and have a blog award waiting for you. http://sharifwrites.blogspot.com/2010/02/only-alien-on-planet-kristen-randle.html

Bookalicious Ramblings said...

The book sounds interesting, but I don't think I could get past the horrendous cover! Thiis authot is so unlucky, she always gets the worst covers! I've heard great things about Prep though so I'll be reading that one soon!

Bianca said...

Bookalicious Ramblings, Too right you are! I completely thought Prep was going to be about some snobby girl or something. Sooo glad I gave it a try!

Search & Win