Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Books That I Want To Read More Of (Part 1)

I have been meaning to put a list together for quite some time now. Below are some of the things I enjoy reading in books. However, I can't seem to find a lot books that fit theses categories and need some suggestions. At the end there will be a form to leave suggestions and after I post the 2nd part for this, I will compile a list of suggestions I get!
EDIT: I posted this a couple weeks ago but did not get the response I was hoping for, so I'm posting it again if you missed it!
1. Boarding Schools
No. I'm not talking about books where the girl goes off to a boarding school and suddenly she becomes wicked popular and/or posh and a snob. I enjoy reading the ones where the MC finds herself/himself making new friends, experiencing new things and really in depth stories. Maybe it's because I've always longed to go to a boarding school (crazy, I know!) or the fact that I got accepted into this fancy-smancy private school but the tuition was 16k but I can't help it! I like reading these kind of books. Books that feature boarding schools: Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld, Viola In Reel Life by Adriana Trigiani, Looking For Alaska by John Green
2. Cross Country/Running and other sports
Anyone who follows my twitter or has checked out my sports blog knows that I am on the cross country team and have a passion for running. I have read very few books that feature the main character on the XC or track&field team. Actually, I really haven't read books with the MC is on a sports team...at least ones that are female. I would prefer books that have the character working hard to become the best at whatever his/her sport is. Sometimes, it annoys me when the MC Books where the MC is a runner: Smart Boys & Fast Girls by Stephie Davis, I also read another book last March where the MC was training for the San Diego (or some city in Cali) Rock and Roll Marathon. Throughout the book she was looking for her father, who might've been in a band. I can't remember the title or author! So if you know the title, please leave it in the box below!
3. Pregnancies
I haven't really read a book that deals with a teenage pregnancy. I don't know why but I want to read novels that feature the MC getting pregnant and seeing how she and the people deal with it. I see so many girls at my school that are pregnant and are barely 16 years old. I want to get an insight, as much as I can, on what goes inside the head of the girl. Leave suggestions of your favorite, or most realistic book that deals with a pregnancy.
4. Surprise Endings
The fact of the matter is, I am really entertained with books that have twist endings! Books that can leave my mouth hanging open and I never saw whatever happened coming are awesome (usually!) Unfortunately, I can't seem to recall a lot of books I've read that are like this. Please leave me suggestions! These can fall under Adult if it has the cross-over appeal. Book endings where I've been shocked by: Handle With Care by Jodi Picoult, Life of Pi by Yann Martel
5. Body/Weight Issues
As someone who used to have a low self-esteem when it came to my body and weight (heck, I still do, but not as much as I used to) I love reading books where I can kind of relate to the characters. I'm not exactly looking for eating disorder type books but I would love suggestions on books where the MC is trying to lose weight (I know this is cliché, but I absolutely love really good ones) or tries to fix her appearance somehow.
6. Tearjerkers
Call me insane, but I absolutely love a good novel that will make me bawl my eyes out. Not too many will make me cry. They might make me sad and all but it doesn't cause tears. Of course, this is an entirely different story when I read a Jodi Picoult novel (but I've only read, like, 4.) Of course, I understand that usually books that make people cry are ones that have MC deaths but it's fine, I'll have my tissue ready! Books that have made me cry: My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult, A Walk To Remember by Nicholas Sparks
Please leave suggestions!
VIEW FORM or fill it in below!

2 comments:

Lover Of Romance said...

Good list!!! Definitely agree with ya!!!



I have a blog award for you at Addicted To Romance

Happy Reading!!!

soleil said...

Hello! You have an interesting list compilation going. I added a couple of more titles via your google doc.

Search & Win