Sunday, June 13, 2010

New Feature! Books of the Past (1)

This is an idea I've had for a few months but never really got around to putting it up. Thanks to bloggiesta, I finally decided to go ahead do it!
A lot of the time, I find myself reading books that have been release for years and not just recent ones. Books of the Past is a feature where I show only books that have already been released (for at least six months) that I don't have and want to read. This isn't a feature, meme that I see myself doing every single week but just whenever. I'll list the reasons behind why I want to read them, as well.
I used photoshop and I couldn't get them to upload because of the format or whatever and so I copied/pasted them and now the pictures might not show up and I'm very frustrated. Grr! EDIT: I FINALLY got to to work.

SCUM Manifesto by Valerie Solanas (May 2004 -First published in 1968/Verso) – Feminism, Andy Warhol...two of my favorite things. Need I say more? SCUM = Society For Cutting Up Men. I also really like the name Valerie and want to read what this radical feminist wrote about. I hear it's wicked short, too.
Conception by Kalisha Buckhanon (January 2008/St. Martin's Griffin) – Saw this in my school's library one day and loved the sound of it. Chicago 1992, 15 year old Shivana lives in a tough environment and visits her Aunt Jewel. She becomes pregnant by an older man, falls in love with someone her age. Saw some really good reviews, too!

Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin (August 2005/Farrar, Straus and Giroux) – I never got to finish The Lovely Bones before having to turn it back in to the library but I was really likely it! When I heard that there was this book with a somewhat similar plot I knew I had to read it!
Push by Sapphire (June 1996/Knopf) – If you heard or seen the movie Precious, which came out last year, you might know that the movie is based off of this book. Although, I found the movie to be very depressing and hard to watch, I can't help but want to read this book.

Oh. My. Gods by Tera Lynn Childs (May 2008/Dutton Juvenile) – Greek mythology AND RUNNING. In my Books I Want To Read More Of post, I mentioned that I can't seem to find books that feature characters that run cross country or track. This book has two really great subjects and I can't wait to read it.
Psych Major Syndrome by Alicia Thompson (August 2009/Hyperion Book CH) – The MC, Leigh Nolan, has started college and is majoring in psychology. That right there interests me because I love anything psychology and I haven't read many books where the main characters is actually in college (the last book I can think of that I read that featured this was the Jessica Darling series.) I haven't seen much about it but what I've seen has been good!

As You Wish by Jackson Pearce (September 2009/HarperTeen) – First off, I think Jackson Pearce is just the coolest (you should check out her Youtube!) I really like the plot of this book; definitely unique and mythical. There's a genie and the three wishes, but there is a twist to it. The genie falls for the Viola and Viola falls in love with him. I can't wait to see how it plays out.

Fat Cat by Robin Brande (October 2009/Knopf Books) – I just want to read this SOO much. I love books like this and this one sounds just so freakin' fantastic! "This funny and thoughtful novel explores how girls feel about their bodies, and the ways they can best take care of their most precious resource: themselves." Doesn't that sound awesome? I'm a fan of books that feature strong girls.

The First Part Last by Angela Johnson (June 2003/Simon & Schuster) – When I was in 7th grade, my English teacher started reading this book to us, but I guess we got too busy or something and could never finish it; we only got about 15 pages in. It's about a teenage guy that gets a girl pregnant and the girl goes into a coma during labor and struggles with raising the baby. I hear there's a surprise ending or something.

Going Too Far by Jennifer Echols (March 2009/MTV Books) – I have only heard good things about this book and I absolutely love the sound of it. Meg just wants to get away from her town and the love interest, John, is the complete opposite of her...I love the sound of their relationship!

So, what do you guys think of this feature? I don't really like the name of this feature, but couldn't think of anything else. I would love any suggestions! : )

6 comments:

Shan said...

I think that's a great feature. I read so many new releases and keep thinking that there are some great books out there from the past few years when I wasn't really reading that I need to check out.

BTW...I think you need to read Push and see the movie Precious, so good choice. They are both unique in their own right and though they are graphic and difficult, it's a voice that needs to be heard.

Unknown said...

I think this is a great feature! I tend to read/review books that aren't new releases since you can find those everywhere... and besides, I think past releases deserve some love too! :)

CarlyB said...

Great idea! I do try to review older books as well as new so I think this is a good thing!x

Debbie's World of Books said...

Oh My Gods was a great book! I definitely recommend that at the top of the list. Fat Cat was pretty good too.

Unknown said...

Hey! I also have a similar feature! Mine's called Dandy Books though. Anywho I really really liked Elsewhere. I didn't much fancy Oh.My.Gods though. The others sound really neat especially SCUM Manifesto

Holly said...

Elsewhere is really good, hope people are still adding it to their wish lists!

Search & Win