Sunday, July 18, 2010

Unexpected Development by Marlene Perez

Unexpected Development by Marlene Perez Roaring Brook Press/September 2, 2004/Young Adult/176 pages
"I'm not sure you really want to get into what I did this summer, Mrs. Westland. Sex. Sex is how I spent my summer vacation." Megan knows twenty different words for "breasts," and can recite them alphabetically-but she can't remember the last time a guy looked her in the eye first, not the chest. Size matters, as Megan found out in the 5th grade, when she developed the largest breasts in the class. Now she's 17 and wearing her twin brothers' baggy sweatshirts can't hide the fact-two facts, really. When her summer job at Pancake Palace puts her in close touch with Jake, who smells like "temptation and Ivory soap," Megan wonders if he can like her for herself, not just her body. Can lusty, busty Megan learn to trust Jake -and herself? Megan tells about her summer of sex in somewhat poignant and very funny journal entries to her favorite teacher
From the beginning we find out that Megan's teacher has asked her class to do the assignment, 'how did you spend your summer vacation?' and, I don't know about you but, I don't think I would ever be comfortable enough to write what she did to her teacher. And I'm pretty close with quite a few of my teachers. What really caught my attention about this book was that the main character, Megan, has big breasts and she is very self-conscious about it t0 the point where she wants to get a breast reduction. I thought that the book was good overall but was lacking in a couple of parts. I think that the book kind of ended suddenly and that there could've been more, especially with Megan and Jake's relationship at the end of the book. I would like to say that Marlene Perez does an amazing jobs with subjects such as sexual harassment, body issues, and other sexual issues. I could definitely relate to Megan and would recommend this book for anyone who wants to read a book dealing with these things. * And this is really, really weird but as I was reading the book I kept feeling that Megan didn't sound like a Megan. Has this ever happened to anyone? Or is this just me. Haha.
RATING
Writing: 4/5
Originality: 4/5
Characters: 3.5/5
Voice: 4/5
Ending: 3/5
Overall: 3 stars
Favorite character(s): I didn't really have a favorite character but I'll say Megan because I could relate to her a lot. Cover: C+ Uhh. Well. The cover is definitely out there. I mean, look at where the author's name is placed. Haha. This is one of those covers that I wouldn't want to be seen with because of it's revealing nature (and I get embarrassed easily) but its also one of those covers that I'd be intrigued by and want to pick up!
Put-down-ability: 3. This book is less than 200 pages, so it's a really fast read.
*Source: public library.

No comments:

Search & Win