Friday, March 26, 2010

Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen

Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen
Viking Juvenile (June 16, 2009)
Age group: Young Adult
Hardcover: 400 pages
It’s been so long since Auden slept at night. Ever since her parents’ divorce—or since the fighting started. Now she has the chance to spend a carefree summer with her dad and his new family in the charming beach town where they live.
A job in a clothes boutique introduces Auden to the world of girls: their talk, their friendship, their crushes. She missed out on all that, too busy being the perfect daughter to her demanding mother. Then she meets Eli, an intriguing loner and a fellow insomniac who becomes her guide to the nocturnal world of the town. Together they embark on parallel quests: for Auden, to experience the carefree teenage life she’s been denied; for Eli, to come to terms with the guilt he feels for the death of a friend.


Review: After the first chapter or two, I was immediately sucked in and I have to say that Along for the Ride is, I think, my favorite Sarah Dessen book right after This Lullaby.

Auden has always been academically smart as both her parents are proffesors and all. She hasn't had much of a social life. She goes to visit her dad and his new wife and her new baby sister for the summer. She begins working at her stepmother's botique shop and becomes friends with the other girls there.

There were so many things I enjoyed about this book . I loved the relationship between Auden and her brother, Hollis. I love great sibling interaction. I loved Audens feminist mindset!! I definitely caught on to her remarks! I could relate to that and a some other things. Like, the insomnia that both Eli and Auden faced. The romance was sweet. I loved parts with them together.

Sarah Dessen does it again! I can always count on her books to always get me in a good reading mood! If you haven't read Sarah Dessen, this is a great one to pick up!

Rating:

Characters: 5/5
Originality: 4/5
Ending: 4/5
Writing: 5/5
Voice: 5/5
Plot: 4/5

Favorite character: I loved so many characters in this book its hard to choose! I adored Maggie's character. She was one of the girls that worked in the botique.
Cover: C. Although it isn't my favorite cover, I think its okay. I think the picture without the models faces is a bit weird...
Thoughts: Oh such a good book! Sarah Dessen books always makes me think of summer and I can't wait for whatever she has next! 4 Stars

5 comments:

Maria said...

Ok, I just have to read this book now! :D

Morgan said...

Sarah Dessen is such a wonderful author and I absolutly adored this book. Great review!

joemmama said...

Have been following for a bit and I sure like your reviews. I find so many things to read! (as if I need more to read) Keep the great reviews coming, they are appreciated.

Unknown said...

I've always been curious about this book. I havent read anything from this author yet! Great review!

Nina said...

Great review. I haven't read any books by this author before, but I keep reading on blogs that she is such a wonderful writer that I really am curious how the books are. :) I have seen this book around at the american bookstore and maybe I am going to buy this.

Search & Win