Saturday, March 13, 2010

SPRING BREAK READING MADNESS! + Jodi Picoult Event Recap!

Okay. So I'll be honest, I read few books since the start of the new year. Which is disappointing since I definitely want to reach 100. But with school, piano lessons, sports, etc. I have been swamp with other things.
Now that Spring Break is officially here and all I have to do -officially- is: go to 2 piano lessons, finish AP US History DBQ, one essay, and a packet (which might prove to be a lot) and three soccer practices. I plan on catching up on some reading!
Books to Read:
• The Elite by Jennifer Banash
• Tricks by Ellen Hopkins
• Jumping off Swings by Jo Knowles
• Dream Life by Lauren Mechling
• Explorer X-Alpha by LM Preston
• Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli
• The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
• Titus and Atreus by Meridi Myers
I hope to finish at least 6/8 by next Sunday.
__________________________________________
Today, I went to the fabulous, Jodi Picoult's book event for her newest book, House Rules!
"Jacob Hunt is a teenage boy with Asperger's syndrome. He's hopeless at reading social cues or expressing himself well to others, and like many kids with AS, Jacob has a special focus on one subject -- in his case, forensic analysis. He's always showing up at crime scenes, thanks to the police scanner he keeps in his room, and telling the cops what they need to do...and he's usually right. But then his town is rocked by a terrible murder and, for a change, the police come to Jacob with questions..."
This was my first book signing ever and it was really awesome! I took my best friend with me. Jodi Picoult read from her book for couple of minutes and I absolutely love her voice. She talks with such ease and I don't know...I wish I could talk so clearly and graceful like she does, I have a bit of a speaking impediment....Anyways, she has a great sense of humor and had the crowd laughing numerous times! Right before she let the audience ask questions she goes, "The only rule is: Do not give away the ending to a book or a spoiler! I WILL KILL YOU!!"
Since she and her books are so popular there were hundreds of people there. However, the book signing went really, really fast. When I got my book sign I asked her how the heck you pronounce her last name, because I'm sure I've been butchering it....Apparently, it's sounds like "pico." Unfortunately, you couldn't take a picture with her since there were so many. I should've at least taken a picture of her during the event, but I only have a cell phone camera.
Great day today! I am reading House Rules right now and should have my review up this week, if not tomorrow. I hope to read all the Jodi Picoult books that I haven't read by the end of the year and I am WICKED excited for her upcoming books. Its about gay rights and embryos and Jodi said something about the main character being a musician and how a CD will come with the book and you can hear songs that she wrote and a friend of her singing the songs! Should be nice.

siggy.jpg

3 comments:

Dani. said...

I have several points:)

1.) Its Spring Break for you right now??? I just got over mid-winter break! Well I guess Spring Break is only 3 weeks away for me, but theres still snow on the ground here...you must be from somewhere warm:)

2.) AP US History you say? Me too! DBQ's suck! Actually, I told myself I would be spending tonight reading over the chapters again for the huge test on Monday...you can see how that is going.

Well, I wish you the best of luck with your reading and AP! :)

Chioma said...

I really need to get to stocking up too. And omg, Im taking AP US History next year as a junior and as a sophomore now im taking AP World and I have a change over time in class essay monday. And I agree with Dani, DBQ's suck. So do compare and contrast and change over time. But I guess we'll have to get through it!!!

Bianca said...

Dani, I didn't know High Schools even had such thing as a mid-winter break!! I definitely wish I were somewhere warm, but I live in Kansas City and it is hecka cold. Most of the snow has FINALLY melted and theres been lots of rain lately. But apparently there will be more snow coming. *facepalm*

APUSH is horrible. Although, I will say this, I would, in a heartbeat, sign up for two AP history classes if it meant I didn't have to take math. I am in Algebra II right now (used to be honors...) and it looks as if I'm taking first semester again, next year. Jesus. I hate math.

Same to you!

Search & Win