Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli

Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli
Release date: January 1, 2000
Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers
Reading Level: Young Adult (but makes a fantastic MG novel, too!)
Paperback: 208 pages

Stargirl. From the day she arrives at quiet Mica High in a burst of color and sound, the hallways hum with the murmur of “Stargirl, Stargirl.” She captures Leo Borlock’s heart with just one smile. She sparks a school-spirit revolution with just one cheer. The students of Mica High are enchanted. At first. Then they turn on her. Stargirl is suddenly shunned for everything that makes her different, and Leo, panicked and desperate with love, urges her to become the very thing that can destroy her: normal. In this celebration of nonconformity, Newbery Medalist Jerry Spinelli weaves a tense, emotional tale about the perils of popularity and the thrill and inspiration of first love.

Review: After reading this book, my only question is: WHY HAVEN'T I READ THIS ALREADY?! Stargirl is a book about individuality and NOT being like all the others.

The titled character, Stargirl, is unlike any other character I've read about. To say that she is unique would be an understatement. She wore clothes that most people considered outdated and way out there, she sung happy birthday while playing her ukulele to other students, she cheered for the other team at basketball games, etc. Stargirl wasn't afraid to be herself, she didn't care what others thought of her. While reading the book I wished I had half the courage she did.

The book is told in Leo Borlock's POV. I loved reading about his relationship with Stargirl. Although they do date in the book, the romance isn't over the top. It's just very cute and innocent. I hated how Leo cared what people thought of him when he was with Stargirl. But I can definitely understand where he was coming from.

Jerry Spinelli is a fantastic writer. I haven't read a book of his in years but I will be reading his others as soon as I can. After reading this book, it has inspired me to go to school and just be me. Well, for the most part, I am my true self at school (which has led a lot of others to call me crazy..no joke) but I want to not give a care in the world what others think.


Rating:

Characters: 6/6
Originality: 6/6
Ending: 4/6
Writing: 6/6
Voice: 6/6
Plot: 6/6

Favorite character(s): Stargirl, of course, for reasons stated above. I thought Archie a man who the kids in town went to for this club of some sort. I liked his wise persona, if that makes any sense...
Cover: B. It's pretty simple but I love how there is a picture of a star and a girl...Stargirl. It's cute.
Thoughts: I must get Love, Stargirl ASAP! 5 stars

2 comments:

Monster of Books said...

I think I saw the book trailer to this one & fell in love with it. But I haven't read it yet. My host sister did and loved it. Great review!!

Mari - Escape In A Book said...

This sounds like a good read, thank you so much for the great review :) Sounds like Spinelli is addressing an important subject. A book of this kind should really be obligatory to read in schools.

Search & Win