Wednesday, March 17, 2010

House Rules by Jodi Picoult

House Rules by Jodi Picoult Publisher: Atria (March 2, 2010)
Age Group: Adult
Hardcover: 544 pages

Summary: "Jacob Hunt is a teenage boy with Asperger's syndrome. He's hopeless at reading social cues or expressing himself well to others, and like many kids with AS, Jacob has a special focus on one subject -- in his case, forensic analysis. He's always showing up at crime scenes, thanks to the police scanner he keeps in his room, and telling the cops what they need to do...and he's usually right. But then his town is rocked by a terrible murder and, for a change, the police come to Jacob with questions. All of the hallmark behaviors of Asperger's -- not looking someone in the eye, stimulatory tics and twitches, flat affect -- can look a lot like guilt to law enforcement personnel. Suddenly, Jacob and his family, who only want to fit in, feel the spotlight shining directly on them. For his mother, Emma, it's a brutal reminder of the intolerance and misunderstanding that always threaten her family. For his brother, Theo, it's another indication of why nothing is normal because of Jacob. And over this small family the soul-searing question looms: Did Jacob commit murder?"

Review: I have only read a couple of Jodi Picoult's books but I am so hooked on them! I love how her books deal with important issues and they are done wonderfully!

After reading House Rules I now know a lot more about Asperger's syndrome. While reading the book you can tell how much time and effort that Jodi spent researching this syndrome. I honestly had never really thought about the legal system and how if you were to have autism or something it could put one in an extremely serious place. Jacob, an eighteen year old boy with Asperger's, loves forensic analysis. He is into it, he even goes to the sites of crime scenes. When he is suddenly accused of murder he must convince the jury that he is innocent.

I like how Jodi Picoult has the different POV. Not only do we get to see Jacob's, but we see four other POV. I think this is a great addition to the book!

I will admit though, the ending wasn't that surprising for me. I kind of figured it out earlier but I still thought that the ending was just incredibly good. Another thing that I really, really enjoyed was how for the start of each chapter there is information on some murder mystery case in history. Like Jacob, I am very much into that sort of thing. I will watch a JonBenett Ramsey documentary on A&E and then watch more cases on the ID channel and to top it all off, I am obsessed with the show Criminal Minds (which I'm watching right this moment.)

I highly recommend this book to those wanting to know more about Asperger's or the legal system or just likes Adult Fiction, to read this book! I got the chance to see Jodi Picoult on Saturday and get my book signed! To read more about my experience at the book event GO HERE.

Rating:
Characters: 6/6
Originality: 6/6
Ending: 6/6
Writing: 6/6
Voice: 6/6
Plot: 6/6
Favorite character(s): I really liked reading Oliver's POV. Oliver is Jacob's lawyer and he had a genuine personality, was funny...
Cover: D/C. The cover has a little boy on it which is kinda weird considering the main character is 18 and although it included details of when he was younger, I think there could've been a better cover. Maybe thats just me...
Thoughts: I've only read three of her others book, I MUST READ THE REST! Be expecting my review of Keeping Faith soon! 4.5 stars
* I think I have a lot of grammar errors, sorry about that!

2 comments:

Monster of Books said...

Great review!! I've note read any of her books, but I've seen a lot of them around!!

Susan said...

Hi! I just found your blog (via Book Blogger Hop, I think) and am really enjoying it.

I just read HOUSE RULES, too, and I agree with lots of what you said. I enjoyed the book, even though the ending is predictable, especially if you've read a few Picoult books. Still, an interesting read.

Search & Win